Accurately Measure Pump Flow for Residential Water Systems
Using existing pipe size and guesswork is a leading causes for poor separator performance. One of the most critical steps to get a LAKOS Separator to work is to properly size the unit according to your systems flow range. This can easily be done by following the LAKOS Bucket Test steps listed below.
Use the LAKOS Bucket Test to get the right GPM and the right separator.
- Open a valve downstream of pressure tank to drain water from the system until well pump turns on
- Allow pump to re-fill system completely until the pump turns off; the system is now at maximum capacity
- With no other open flow of water from the system, take a 5-gallon bucket and measure the volume of water removed from the system until the pump turns on again
- Count the time it takes (in minutes) for the pump to replenish that volume of water
- Divide the total water volume (in gallons) by the time (in minutes) to obtain actual gallons per minute (GPM)