How to accurately measure pump flow for a residential water well system
Guesswork is not the solution! Pipe size is not the solution.
Use the LAKOS Bucket Test to get the right gpm and the right separator.
- Open a valve downstream of pressure tank to drain water from system until well pump turns on
- Allow pump to re-fill system completely until pump turns off; system is now at maximum capacity
- With no other open flow of water from the system, take a 5-gallon bucket and measure the volume of water removed from the system until pump turns on again
- Count the time it takes (in minutes) for the pump to replenish that volume of water
- Divide the total water volume (in gallons) by the time (in minutes) to obtain actual gallons per minute (gpm)